Monday, August 6, 2012

A Road Trip, A Wedding And Flying Wood!

This past weekend was so much fun. My mom and I went on a fabulous road trip.

We went to my cousin’s daughters wedding in Richmond VA.
I went to my mom’s house on Saturday morning to pick her up. We packed everything into her van and took off.

We took Route 95 south and man oh man what a drive.  For over an hour we were only driving 8 to 10 miles an hour. We had lots of time for fun conversation. 

After the stressful drive we finally made it to the Hilton Garden Inn. The hotel was very nice.

The wedding was held at the The Historic Mankin Mansion in Richmond VA. The wedding was picture perfect! 
Mom and I all dressed up for the wedding!

Aunt Mae, Spencer, Kerby and Uncle Dick
We took the shuttle bus to the wedding from the hotel.

The ceremony was held outside surrounded by gardens. Kerby was a beautiful bride.
The reception was in a huge tent.  There was live music and two buffets, one buffet had, beef and pork with all of the side dishes and the other buffet had, chicken, shrimp, scallops and side dishes, the food was excellent.
Tim (father of the bride) and Kerby
The wedding party
Tim, Teena (my cousin) Spencer (the groom) Kerby and her father
Mom and I had a wonderful time.  We took the shuttle bus back to the hotel at around 9:30 and got ready for bed and slept like babies in the wonderful sleep number beds that the hotel had.

The next morning we got up, had some coffee and packed up the van. Teena (my cousin) and Tim (her husband) the parents of the bride had a nice brunch for everyone.
Kerby Stuller
After brunch it was time to drive home.  The traffic driving home was a piece of cake, no problems. After getting to mom’s house we unloaded everything and I stayed for a while to visit my sister and Gerry.  I had the chance to put my pictures on mom’s computer and load my car with all of my stuff.

After a visit of about an hour, it was time for me to get on the road. Usually it only takes me about an hour and 10 minutes to get home.  Unfortunately this time was much longer…..  Sad smile

I was rolling along RT 70 when a nasty storm decided to pound down on me.  The rain began to fall and the winds started to howl.  Before I knew it a big piece of wood from a construction site came flying into my windshield and knocked off the drivers side wiper blade. It was pouring and I couldn’t see anything at all. I pulled off on an exit and parked in the shoulder with my hazard lights on to wait out the rain.  When the rain slowed down a little bit I turned on the one wiper that worked and looked out the passenger side of the windshield and found a parking lot to wait in. 

My sister, Robin and her main squeeze, Gerry (my future brother in law) came with new wiper blades for me. This was the scariest trip home from my mom’s house that I ever had.  This “little” incident could have been much much worse! 
I’m a very lucky lady! The only damage to my car is a few scrapes on the hood.

This past weekend was definitely an exciting one, don’t you think?

The best thing about this past weekend was spending it with my mom!
Thanks for reading, life is good.........


Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

It does look picture perfect!

The Odd Essay said...

Love the last picture! Not sure whether it's the smile on your face or the glass of brew.... but the line below the photo is perfect!